Pitt Island is the second largest island in the Chatham Archipelago, New Zealand. It is called Rangiauria in Māori and Rangiaotea in Moriori. Pitt Island has an area of 65 square kilometres.
Pitt Island is renowned for it spectacular scenery and natural environment.
Mt Hakepa on Pitt Island is recognised as the first inhabited place in the world to welcome the new day!
The landscape ranges from rolling fertile farmland to wild bush-clad coastlines. Blessed with being isolated over the centuries, Pitt Island is abundant with bird life, fauna, fishing, diving and pig hunting.
Within the thriving bush reserves tui, tomtit, red-crowned parakeets, warblers and fantails are more readily seen than on Chatham Island.
Historic attractions include the oldest timber building on the Chathams, the Glory Cottage located at Glory Bay. Here the earliest shipwreck, the Brig Glory, happened in 1827.
New Zealand's most remote Church, Our Lady of the Antipodes is located at Flowerpot.
The only accommodation on Pitt Island is Flowepot Bay Lodge which stands on the original Hunt Homestead. Frederick and Mary Hunt settled here in 1843. The majority of the current Pitt Island inhabitants are descendants of the Hunts, which provides the basis for many great fables and yarns of the early pioneers.