Baggage On Air Chathams Flights
Overview of our fare and baggage allowances
All passengers have a check in luggage allowance
of 23 kilograms for one piece of luggage. Additional weight will incur a
standard excess weight charge of $3.50 per kilogram up to a maximum of 32
kilograms for one piece of luggage.
Is extra baggage allowed?
Yes, extra baggage is allowed at an additional charge.
For domestic New Zealand flights, each additional piece of luggage up to 23 kilograms will incur a charge of $35 if pre-booked online and $55 if added at the airport check-in.
For Chatham Islands and Norfolk Island flights,
each additional piece of luggage up to 23 kilograms will incur a charge of $70
if pre-booked online and $90 if added at the airport check-in. Excess luggage is not guaranteed for travel on the day
and will depend on aircraft payload capacity.
How much baggage does travel with an infant allow?
Passengers travelling with an infant (up to 24 months) are allowed an additional 5 kilograms luggage
How much hand luggage can I take onboard?
All passengers are only allowed to carry on one
item of luggage weighing less than 7 kilograms. Different aircraft have different luggage
configurations and so we ask that carry-on luggage doesn’t exceed total linear
dimensions of 115 centimetres in height, length or width.
What are prohibited items?
The following list of items may not be carried
in, checked in or carry-on
luggage on Air Chathams flights:
• Flammable or poisonous compressed gases such as gas cyclinders, oil sprays and pesticides
• Lithium batteries or lithium battery powered equipment containing those batteries
• Corrosive materials such as acids and mercury
• Explosives such as fireworks and easily ignited items, disposable and refillable lighters
• Magnets or magnetised materials
• Oxidising substances
• Poisonous, toxic or infectious substances
• Radioactive materials
If you are unsure please check with Air Chathams staff at our airport check-in locations.
Common items asked about are listed below:
- Safety matches may be carried in your pocket or by hand.
- Hair spray and aerosol deodorant may be carried in checked luggage only providing it is in an individual container less than 500 grams or millilitres and with a fitted cap.
- E-cigarettes and vapes may be carried in your hand or in carry-on luggage providing they are individually protected and are strictly prohibited for use on board.
- Knives, sharp objects, bats or any item which could be used as a weapon may only carried in checked luggage.
If you wish to know more about regarding taking firearms to Norfolk Island, please read and familiarise yourself with the information to be found at this link - https://www.abf.gov.au/importing-exporting-and-manufacturing/prohibited-goods/categories/firearms
What does it cost to take a bulky or over-sized item?
Air Chathams does not charge extra for bulky or oversize items such as golf clubs, bicycles and surfboards other than for weight or extra luggage charges.
If the bulky or oversize item is the only piece of luggage checked in and the weight exceeds 23 kilograms per passenger, the additional weight will be charged at $3.50 per kilogram.
If the bulky or oversize item is an additional piece of luggage checked in (additional to 1 piece of luggage up to 23 kilograms per person) then charges for additional pieces of luggage will apply as per ‘extra baggage charges’ above.